Currently, music piracy has not only penetrated the physical realm in the form of CDs and DVDs but has also penetrated into the digital realm, as stated by Adi Adrian, a KLa Project personnel, saying that “There are four types of music sales, namely: physical, digital, performance, and synchronization. In Indonesia, the four have problems, ”said the KLa Project keyboard player. This is why a legal consultant is needed.
According to Gumilang Ramadhan, Director of PT Musica Studio’s “We lost trillions of rupiah because songs were downloaded illegally,” told SWA Online, on the sidelines of the 2013 Digital & Music Matters event, which was held in Singapore last week.
According to the Indonesian Minister of Trade Gita Wirjawan, the potential loss of the Indonesian music industry due to piracy reaches Rp 4.5 trillion per year. In fact, if the value of music consumption per person is IDR 20,000 per year, the potential value of music consumption is IDR 5 trillion per year. “However, only ten percent can be enjoyed by these musicians,” said Gita. Gita said that the musicians’ income, which is only ten percent of the potential Rp. 5 trillion, is considered unfair. Therefore, his party and several related agencies will continue to fight piracy that occurs in Indonesia.
Solutions to Overcome Music Piracy
One solution to tackling music piracy is by digitizing music from physical media CDs and DVDs into digital form. This step has been taken by Apple by establishing iTunes and Google which founded Google Play which provides a means of legally purchasing digital music.
Therefore, domestic record labels must immediately invest in the development of digital music in order to tackle piracy of physical music on CDs and DVDs. Based on research, it is known that the piracy of one direction songs through the google search engine with the keyword free one direction music download is known to be 135,000,000 searches. If 135,000,000 searches only download 20% and multiply it by the price of one music for 10,000, the total loss from downloading this illegal song will be 405 billion.
Thus, the digital music sales strategy is one of the steps to tackle piracy because currently physical music sales in the form of CDs and DVDs are only 40%, while the rest has led to digitalization. Of this 60% digital music sales are still controlled by foreign players such as iTunes, Deezer and Google Play.